Sev is a very popular Indian snack food. Its crunchiness makes everyone fall in love with it.
There are varieties of sevs that have been made and sold in our country.
Of them my favourite is Aloo sev also known as aloo bhujia.
As in our country potatoes are a common ingredient for almost every Indian snacks recipe whether we talk of vada pav, sev puri, dabeli or any other popular snacks.
Aloo sev is also a popular snack made of potatoes, seasoned with gram flour and species like chaat masala, turmeric powder and many other species.
The mixture of all these ingredients give this snack a very amazing flavour.
These sev are thin and come under ready to eat varieties of Indian snacks.
This sev can be eaten alone and can also be used as a topping on dishes like sev puri and bhel puri.
This snack is very popular in states like Madhya Pradesh, especially in cities like Indore and Ujjain where many snacks consist of it as a main ingredient.
Also, many varieties of sev are being sold in markets like plain sev, tomato sev, palak sev and bhujia sev.
In a country like the UK also, varieties of sev mixed with nuts, pulses and lentils are commonly sold as ‘Bombay mix’. As snacks made with pulses and lentils are considered as healthy snacks and sev add more flavour and taste to these snacks.
The reason why personally I love this sev is that it offers a combination of taste. The potatoes give the starchy taste to the snack and gram flour gives the nutty taste which combines makes the recipe amazing.
Usually, I used to make this recipe in bulk and store it an airtight container, so that i can have it at any time.
You can preserve this snack for about 2-3 weeks.
It is very easy to make this snack at home. So, lets see the recipe for aloo sev
Aloo Bhujia / Aloo Sev
- 5 Potato / Aloo boiled & peeled
- 5 cup Besan / Gram flour
- Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder
- Turmeric Powder
- Cumin Powder
- Garam Masala
- Chaat Masala
- Black Salt
- Kali Mirch Powder
- 3 tsp Oil
- Oil for Frying
- Firstly, in a large bowl grate 4-5 boiled potatoes.
- Now, add kali mirch powder, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, garam masala, jeera powder, chaat masala, kala namak and salt. (Note: add all species as per your taste)
- Further add 4-5 cup of gram flour ( Besan) and 3 tbsp of oil.
- Now, mix everything well making sure that all the ingredients combine well.
- Knead the dough and add more water if required. Also, make sure your dough is soft and smooth.
- If the dough seems sticky, grease the dough with oil ( because your dough should be non-sticky).
- Now, take out your sev making machine and apply oil inside it and then stuff dough in it.
- Use small holes mould for making the sev.
- Further, press and spread the bhujia in hot oil forming a circle shape but do make sure that you do not overlap.
- Let the sev cook, till it looks golden and crispy. And, and in between keep flipping the sev.
- Take out the sev on paper to drain the extra oil from it.
- And, here you go. Your aloo bhujia is all ready to serve.
- Enjoy this fresh homemade sev with tea.
Here, are some easy and important tips for you guys
For festivals you can make this sev easily at home and can serve this to your guests. This snack is the best to serve with tea.
Making this recipe at home is not at all the tough task.
Even, the ingredients used are limited.
Do try this easy snack recipe and let me know in the comment section, how was it?
I will be waiting for your reviews.